I’m going out on a limb and saying this is the BEST Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe EVER. Mainly because it starts with my easy zucchini bread that is totally foolproof – we’ve been making it for years – and with chocolate chips? BEST quick bread ever!
Never make another kind of zucchini bread once you’ve tasted it with chocolate – in this recipe of course.
Why This Recipe is the BEST
I will guarantee you that this recipe works. I have made it hundreds of times in different variations – from making the classic zucchini bread to switching it up and making blueberry zucchini bread. This is even great as muffins!
- Foolproof, tested recipe
- Soft and moist with the perfect amount of sweetness
- LOTS of chocolate!
- Great for freezing for easy snacking or breakfasts
- Uses up that abundant zucchini – use fresh OR frozen!
I know you’ll love this recipe as much as we do!
Ingredients in Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Vegetable Oil: Instead of butter, this bread uses oil. I find it keeps the bread moist with a neutral flavor.
Sugar: I love using a combination of granulated and brown sugar for flavor and the brown sugar keeps the bread moist too.
Eggs: Needed for structure and, also, to keep the bread moist.
Baking Soda and Baking Powder: The combination helps the bread rise and be nice and soft.
Salt: Don’t omit, since the oil is neutral this recipe needs salt.
All-Purpose Flour: Be sure to measure it correctly.
Zucchini: Shred your own zucchini for this, see more about zucchini below.
Chocolate Chips: Use your favorite flavor and brand. I used regular but you can also use mini chips.
Fresh or Frozen Zucchini in Zucchini Bread
You can use either fresh zucchini or grated zucchini you’ve frozen.
Fresh: Be sure to grate it yourself using the large holes of a box grater. You do NOT need to wring it out.
Frozen: Thaw it between paper towels to absorb excess moisture. Pat it dry but don’t wring it out.
How to make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
1. Pan Size: This recipe works in an 8×4-inch or 9×5-inch loaf pan (or make as muffins). The 8×4-inch is my favorite because it makes a domed bread, whereas the 9×5-inch pan will be flatter. Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. One Bowl Quick Bread: Add the oil, sugars, egg, and vanilla and stir. Then add the baking soda and powder, vanilla and cinnamon, and salt. Stir in flour. Then stir in chocolate chips.
3. Bake: Bake until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the loaf, about 50-60 minutes depending on pan size.
How to Store Zucchini Bread
Store chocolate chip quick bread at room temperature, covered with plastic wrap. We just leave it in the pan on the counter.
Freeze this bread whole, wrapped well in plastic wrap, or freeze slices in individual baggies for grab-and-go snacks.
Tips for Quick Bread
- No need to wring out your zucchini!
- Stir this by hand so it’s not over mixed.
- Be sure to do the toothpick test in the center of the loaf. If it’s not done all the way it will sink in the middle.
- Add some extra chocolate chips on top before baking for pretty presentation.
- Add chopped nuts too if you like!
- You can use all brown sugar or all granulated sugar if you want.
No, I do not wring it out. If you’re using frozen shredded zucchini, make sure it’s thawed and not dripping wet.
If it turns out gummy it’s because there is too much moisture. The recipe is written so you don’t have to wring out the zucchini but if you’re using frozen make sure it’s not dripping wet – just normal moisture.
This is the best recipe – and you can see how I make the original zucchini bread here.
To use up all that summer zucchini in your garden – or when it’s on sale at the store! Zucchini is great for dinner OR dessert.
Use chocolate chips for best results. Any flavor, any brand will work.
Yes! Wrap the entire loaf well in plastic wrap and freeze. Or, slice and freeze in sandwich bags for easy grab and go.
Yes – double this recipe easily.
Yes this recipe makes about 12-14 muffins. Bake 15-25 minutes and I recommend using cupcake liners.
Other Favorite Quick Bread & Zucchini Recipes
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
- ½ cup (119ml) vegetable oil
- ¾ cup (150g) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups (186g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (approximately 152g) shredded zucchini
- 1 cup (170g) chocolate chips plus more for the top
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×4-inch or 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
Add oil, both sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract to a large bowl. Stir until smooth.
Mix in cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Stir in flour, mixture will be thick. Add zucchini and stir until combined – mixture will get looser and more pourable after stirring in zucchini. Fold in chocolate chips.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with additional chocolate chips.
Bake 50-60 minutes (9×5-inch pan) or 55-65 minutes (8×4-inch) pan, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the loaf.
Cool before slicing or removing from the pan. Store covered for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Be sure to shred your own zucchini using the large holes of a box grater. Do not drain or squeeze liquid out of the zucchini – you need the moisture to keep the bread moist.
- Sugar: I like the mix of brown and granulated but you can omit the brown sugar and use 1 cup granulated if you prefer.
- The 8×4-inch loaf will bake more domed, while the 9×5-inch pan will be flatter.
- Feel free to add in ½ cup chopped nuts with the chocolate chips after stirring in zucchini.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 321kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 86IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
The BEST Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread recipe! This easy quick bread is a great way to use zucchini – add chocolate chips for tons of extra flavor. Freezes great too!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
Join for FREE to start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: June 30, 2021